Monday, September 6, 2010

Fences

 

Lowell fixing fence in September 1956 to keep a small boy (Randy) contained in the yard. I think we did something with fences almost every year that we were married. We had woven wire fences; wooden fences; electric fences and fences made of steel gates. We made new ones; fixed old ones; changed fences and took up fences. We used wooden posts; steel posts and electric posts. We even made a post from woven wire filled with rocks. We used fences for sheep, cows, calves and horses. I don't think Lowell ever threw away a fence post. I learned how to straighten electric fence posts but didn't have enough strength to pound the steel posts straight but I could tell someone how to do it.

When we lived in Austin, MN we had 1 1/2 acres and of course had horses and a fence. The night before we moved a neighbor asked us what we were going to do with the fence - Lowell asked him if he wanted to buy it to which the neighbor said "no". So after my brothers' pick up was loaded with the rest of the household goods he and Lowell took up the fence. It took them 'tll midnight to get that job done and loaded on the pick up. For those of you who don't know about woven wire - it does not roll up tight like it was when new. I wish I had taken a picture but imagine this GMC red pick up loaded with household goods and a large roll of woven wire on top. And a neighbor standing in the middle of the field with no fence wondering what happened.

5 comments:

Brownie said...

I didn't know that's why you put the fence up! Where is the one where Randy is sitting on top of the post?

Brownie said...

I remember that night. I was so tired. But I remember the discussion that the neighbor thought he'd get a free fence after we were gone. Dad said something like "he thinks he'll get the fence free after we're gone. Won't he be surprised in the morning!"

shannon i olson said...

I would love to have land and dig up old fence posts and barbed wire...great finds. I never dug holes or put up fence, watched my husband do it modern style in our yard...and heard him complain about doing it at work in -20 wind chill in a bobcat.
Lovely memory thanks so much for sharing!!

Ann in the UP said...

That look on the neighbor's face is funny to consider! Good for Lowell.

We were always trying to keep beagles inside their fences. Once the fence was about twelve feet high, and we were sure it was secure. The dog was sitting in the yard watching us.

Cortney said...

I can only dream of the day when I have a yard to put a fence up in. I know that the first animal we would love to keep in a fencd in yard is a dog...until then I will live my fence dreams through your story!