Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A brides first year

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Linda's blog about a completely different life made me think of the first year Lowell and I were married. I grew up in a small town in Southern Minnesota with a brother, a stay at home mom and a dad who loved his profession as master electrician. I don't think I was spoiled but other people might think so because I really didn't want for much except what most teenagers want. In other words I lived in a nice home, had nice clothes, always warm and never hungry. Then I fell in love with this farmer/truck driver. Our families knew each other - in fact Lowell's brother worked with my grandpa and later my dad as an electrician. We all went to the same church and when Lowell and I got married 3/4 of the church became related but that was ok because they didn't all agree at the same time anyway.
Anyway we were married in June and moved to a farm that Lowell was renting about 30 miles from Redwood. I loved it!! One of my first memories of that summer is this: Lowell couldn't get the tracker to start. He hooked a chain to our 49 Ford and asked me to pull the tractor. You all know where this is going. right? I didn't slowly start forward - I just drove and Lowell about flew off the tractor's seat. Well, I really was glad we were newlyweds. How was I suppose to know how pull anything - he never told me, my dad never told me. I have since learned and pulled my share of tractors and pickups. It is NOT my favorite thing to do.
More of that first year later.



1 comment:

LindaSue said...

oh please! Keep the stories coming! Tony laughed quite a bit at that one, too!